Monday, November 1, 2010

Weekend Fun!

I don't know why I can't be like any normal person and just sit down and enjoy "resting". Somehow I always have to have a project going. This past Saturday, we had our very first yard sale. Who knew so many people LOVE yard sales?? Seriously, we has at least 50 or more people stop by ( some came back 2 or 3 times even), and I was worried no one would come! hah! Needless to say, we had a very productive yard sale and were able to get rid of some junk and make a few dollars! After yard saling all morning and then going to a wedding that night, I was pretty tired Sunday. However, I decided I would redo our kitchen table. After finishing that, I decided I would paint our kitchen cabinets. I really wish I had a "before" picture of the table. This table was a $30 steal I found a couple of years ago at one of those antique stores. I really hated the stain on the table, but it was solid wood and I knew I could fix it up somehow. Well... 2 years later I finally fixed it! I really love the way it turned out. I was going for an old rustic worn down look. I first sanded the table down to remove the glossy finish and stain. I then painted it with a white primer (2 coats). I still wanted some of the original table to "show through" so the primer worked perfectly. After it dried, I then sanded it again, working especially on the curves of the table and legs. I then used a paint brush with just a little dark chocolate stain on it and brushed little stroke all over... making sure to get the curves and crevices and wiping the excess with a paper towel. Then, I sanded it one final time. I still have to buy a clear water-based (so it won't look yellow) top coat to brush on it so I will be able to wipe down the table when it gets dirty.


I have started on the cabinets, but have found out that it is going to take multiple coats of paints! ugh! I guess these will be a work in progress for right now. After painting them, I am planning to sand down the grooves on the front and put a chocolate glaze to make the insets of the cabinet have some depth to them. I then am going to find some rustic hardware that is a dark chocolate color as well. Hope everything turns out good! I will post some finished pics when I do actually finish! 
I will leave you with this picture of the cutest chicken and tigers you will every see! Hope everyone had a Happy Halloween and has a great week! 



2 comments:

  1. You are a much braver woman that I! I have had ONE yard sale and have since sworn them off! Too much work...too little reward ;) LOVE the kitchen table by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the table! Wish I could be that creative!

    ReplyDelete